How effective business systems can ready your business for sale
People sell their businesses for many reasons. Fatigue from too many years in the game is one of the most common. They might also choose to sell their business when they reach retirement age or fall ill and cannot work in it any more. Sometimes, increased competition drives them out of the market. Some business owners start their businesses with a planned sale in mind. Whatever your reasons, nothing can prepare you for the setback when you find that you can’t actually sell your business. That’s why it’s important to understand the factors that prevent your business from attracting buyers and how to bounce back and grow your business into an Asset of Value.
Factors that stall a sale
Buyers usually hesitate to close deals because they don’t see the value in the business they’re being offered. Many factors contribute to this, but the main ones are:
- The business is too dependent on the owner – If a business relies on its owner to operate at its best, it’s not an attractive purchase for buyers because they cannot buy the owner with the business. The same can be said if the business is too dependent on one employee, client or supplier.
- Buyers can’t identify any growth opportunities – Buyers are attracted to the future potential of the business and not just what the business can achieve now. In this case, value is shown by presenting convincing growth opportunities. These could be new locations for the business, other companies the business can buy out or new markets that the business can unlock. Anything which proves that the growth of the business won’t slow down or stop.
- The business is too similar to its competitors – Businesses that aren’t differentiated enough can only compete on price. The lower the price, the less cash is left over to grow the business.
- There isn’t enough free cash – Free cash is what’s left behind after working capital is spent. It’s a good measure of a business’s performance because it shows stakeholders and potential buyers how much money the business can dedicate towards growth.
- Legal issues – If you or your business are tied up in any legal disputes that could affect the business financially, there’s a slim chance of selling the business before all the legal issues are resolved.
Aurik nurtures your business for a sale
We work hand-in-hand with you to grow your business into an Asset of Value through careful analysis, focused goal-setting and sound business systems. A partnership with Aurik ensures that your business has a firm foundation from which to grow and expand.
We will collaborate with you and identify who your ideal customer is and how best to position your business so you can serve them optimally. This is supported by targeted and persistent marketing strategies and airtight business systems.
Aurik works with you to establish long-term value in your business. We want your business’s true value to show clearly in its processes, structures and operations – not in who owns it.
Would you like to have your pick of buyers when you’re ready to sell? Aurik can assist. Let us work with you to build your business into an Asset of Value and devise an effective exit strategy.